Thursday, August 30, 2012

And life goes on...

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness... A long lost cyber friend has suddenly reappeared!  I'm so glad. :o)



Anyway...  I have so very much to say... So much has happened...

First, DS is now away at college.  I am so proud of him.  He's doing really well. 


Drop off day was a great day.  Bittersweet but great.  He is going to a wonderful college and we couldn't be happier that he is there. It was a hard day too though.  That letting go thing... yeah, I don't like it much and well, I'm not too good at it either!




Man, I love that kid. Where has the time gone... When I started this Blog, he was only 11 years old getting ready to start 6th grade.  Now, he is almost 18 and a freshman in college!  I can't wait to see all the great things he is going to do in his life.  

Next...

DH is retiring... today.  Boy, am I proud of him and all the great things he has done and will do in our future.  His retirement ceremony was a month ago.  Had to do it early for several reasons I won't bore you with, but it was wonderful.


  Isn't he just super handsome?  Anyway, we had a very nice ceremony with lots of his co-workers, and lots of our family and friends.  We were all recognized for our service.


The kids received "Army Brat" certificates and I got my Certificate of Appreciation and such.  It was really nice and I was amazed at what the gentleman, who did most of the ceremony, knew about us.  He did a wonderful job.


Then DH gave his speech and it was fantastic.  He said all the right things and I was so very proud of him.  I was proud of me too!!  I only teared up a little!  I really thought I'd just ball my eyes out but I didn't.... YEA!  I was definitely ready for him to be out of the army but still it's an important chapter in our life that's closing and it too is bittersweet.


Then it was time to shed the uniform.  Lol  Really he was just getting ready to sit down and have a bite to eat but these photos really do kind of sum up the event, you know.  Retiring... moving on to our next chapter.

I won't lie and say that I loved the army life.  I didn't... but I did and do love my life.  I am relieved to have him move on from the army and deployments but... we are still near the army and his new job will still be working with the army and he'll still have lots of TDYs but the uniform is off and there are lots more choices now.  Less fear for me.  And a real sense of HOME.

Home it is where your heart is and we have found where ours is to reside.  We get to put down roots.  DD is beside herself that moves are not looming over us.  Don't get me wrong... we realize that we could still move some day but it will be our choice and right now, it's not in our plans.

As I posted on DH's facebook this morning... "Today is the first day of the rest of our lives!..."

5 comments:

  1. Thanks baby! You are the glue that keeps this family together, thank you for always being there for all of us!

    I love you,
    DH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe DS is in college... I remember the first time he came to teen group... He was so young and baby faced but his confidence made him seem years older... One of mine married and one of yours in college... Where did the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca, It is hard to believe that all this possible! I wonder daily where the time has gone and question whether or not I've wasted too much of it! Did I do all I needed too? Funny, though, only TIME will tell. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you and your family! Sounds like all kinds of new adventures are on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete