Saturday, February 04, 2012

Sarcasm

I am really coming to severely dislike sarcasm.  I'm finding more and more that it is filled with hate.  It leaves pain and hurt. It's just terrible.  It seems to be the norm in society to spew sarcasm.  It's in our TV shows and movies.  It's on Facebook.  It's in politics.  It's everywhere and I'm tired of it.  If you want to tell me something, just say it.  Don't make it worse with sarcasm.

I feel like words are a gift.  Something God gave us to lift each other up, to spread His love.  Don't get me wrong, I've been know to use sarcasm from time to time too but I've been working on it. 

I've just been finding too much sarcasm these days.  I've been hurt by it and honestly, I'm afraid that I may have hurt others by using it myself sometimes.  Shame on me.  Sarcasm is just not as humorous as we seem to think it is as a society.  It's hurtful.  And I hope that I can end it from my side.

What do you think about sarcasm?

4 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about this post all weekend... I think you are right... It hurts me to admit it but sarcasm in mean. I admit, at first I didn't totally agree with you, but I think there is a big difference between a "witty retort" that makes everyone laugh and sarcasm which by it's very nature makes everyone but the person it's aimed at laugh. Even if they do laugh, it had to sting a little. Who hasn't felt the burn of sarcasm? I will definitely be on the lookout for it in my mind or conversations... I think it is a seed of hurt that I no longer want to sow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, you worded it way better than I did.

    "I think it is a seed of hurt that I no longer want to sow."

    That's how I feel too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I linked up to your post on my blog... I hope that's okay. If not, let me knw and I'll take it down.

    ReplyDelete