Friday, August 13, 2010

On my soap box so get ready!

Ok, well, it's been a LONG while since I've posted anything.... I could say substantial.  But today I have a little more to offer... I hope.

I don't know if you know this about me or not but I'm a democrat.  I'm not ashamed of it but I do tend to keep it to myself.  Sometimes when people find out they aren't very nice to me.  They can actually be pretty hateful.  They assume that I'm a bad person, that I can't possibly be a Christian, I'm the enemy. I've even lost a few friends over it.  It's sad really.

I was reading this morning and I came across a few things I'd like to share with you, with anybody, with everybody, with my country.

The first is from Ephesians 4:29.  It is actually my Facebook status this morning.

    "Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up, as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear."

Wow, I wish that some of those who found out that I'm a democrat had remembered those words. I'm glad that I am reminded of them again myself.  I think we all need this reminder every now and again.  I don't think we always think before we speak about how our words (spoken or written)  will impact others.  

The other quote is from the 1860's and it could be said today as well... actually, I've said it many many times in last 10 or more years myself.

          "It is time that Christians were judged more by their likeness to Christ than their notions
               of Christ. Were this sentiment generally admitted we should not see such tenacious adherence
               to what men deem the opinions and doctrines of Christ while at the same time in every 
day practice is exhibited anything but a likeness to Christ."

I see this way too often.  My children have even commented on it to me.  It is heartbreaking that so many in the Church have forgotten that not only are we supposed to KNOW what Christ stands for, says and asks of us and so on but that we are also supposed to LIVE it.  

We are supposed to seek to be LIKE Christ.  We need to look at what He did in His time, who He spent time with, how He spent his time, and hear, to really and truly hear, what He was, what He IS trying to tell us. Then we need to work hard to be as much like Him as we can and to remember that when others look into our face, our words and our deeds that they should be able to see Christ in them.

Lately, on the news shows, talk shows, and so on I hear such hatefulness and often times it is at the same time they are preaching Christianity and yet it is anything but.  How can you call people to arms and at the same time say we need more religion?  How can you call people names or tell a people that their world was destroyed because they were bad and still think that you are being Christlike?  

Christ came and spent time with the poor, the hurting, the outcasts.  He touched peoples hearts just by LOVING them.  He showed them He cared for them and they chose to follow Him.  He healed those who were unclean, He talked with those who were prostitutes, criminals, those of other faiths or no faith!  He cared for them ALL.  He reached out to us ALL.  He was trying to unite us, to make us all one family in Him.  

What must He be thinking now? 

As we go throughout our day today and everyday let us each remember that we may be the only Christ some people ever get see.

5 comments:

  1. Can you hear me applauding? I'm still registered Republican (that's going to change soon) but have become fairly liberal in the past few years. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say that I've finally admitted to myself and others that I'm not politically conservative, even if everyone else in my extended family is.

    Like you, I've been on the receiving end of some rather hateful comments over this. And this attitude has come solely from Christians. I find that disheartening.

    Thank you for sharing this post. It's nice to know there are others out there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna is my mom and so I have had the same things happen. I'm extremely liberal and an environmentalist, not a good thing to be in the bible belt.

    Thanks so much for posting this. It was all over my facebook feed this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAHOOOO!!! Applause, applause!! (And where did that quote come from? I want it for my collection!)

    And when did it become a virtue to boast about NOT taking care of the poor among us? NOT watching out for our neighbors? NOT sharing the wealth and gifts that come to all of us from God in the first place? Hmmm? When did that become a virtue? I'm just askin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is easy to forget when one watches (and reads on the internet) negativity and hate 24/7. I think we make too many assumptions, we do not listen (or only hear what we want), and are quick to judge. I know that I am at times quick to react - that is a struggle and I'm constantly working on thinking and feeling before I bark. It's sad that you've lost friends and loved ones because of the political party you belong to (or your political beliefs) . . . I admire that you are strong in your beliefs and agree that we should first ask ourselves who and what our actions are representing. Jesus, by example, gave us the perfect model.

    Okay - that's my rant for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you now more than ever! :) Hugs from a fellow quiet democrat! :)

    ~Lori Jean :)

    ReplyDelete