Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Vacuuming

Yes, I was vacuuming this morning upstairs.  I know!  That in itself is quite amazing so now that I've amazed you pick yourself up and let's talk. 

I don't know about you but I have a lot distractions in my life.  Really I do.  Just to show it, as I was typing this I noticed I had a new email and had to stop typing to check it!  Crazy!  E-mail, Facebook, Blogs, TV are some of my distractions.  So are worry, anxiety, stress, anger, sadness and so on. 

All these distractions really mess with my life ~ with me living my life.  They just get in the way.  In the way of housework, schoolwork, hobbies I love, relationships, fun and the list could probably go on and on.

I remember when I was applying for a job at this church and I knew they were going to ask me about my prayer life, my relationship with Christ, and just about my spiritual well-being. So for days before my interview, I spent a lot time thinking of all the questions they might ask me and how I should answer.  I remember vividly thinking about my answers.  I wanted to answer truthfully of course but I didn't want to be caught off guard.  One of my answers was that I was in a constant conversation with God.  I got up in the mornings talking with him and I just continued through out my day telling him what was going on, asking for help and letting Him know what I thought I needed and then at the end of the day I finished my conversation Thanking Him.  

Recently, during my Bible Study, I was reminded of this and so I started thinking about it again and realized that I still try to have this continual conversation but it seldom goes like it used to and I started trying to figure out what changed?  What slowed my conversation?  What is it that keeps me from it now?  

Well, I'm going to be honest.  It was the internet.  I got busy with it and quickly became addicted to it.  I was on the computer all the time and when I wasn't I was thinking about it!  CRAZY! I remember that I used to play with my baby all the time.  We went on treasure hunts, we baked, we played legos, we sang songs, we read stories and more.  But then that dang computer and internet came into our lives and thinking back I can see that a lot of that slowed down.  It didn't end but it definitely slowed. SHAME ON ME!

Distractions, no matter what they are, are cumbersome.  I find myself often praying and then a few minutes later I think, "Wait!  Wasn't I just praying?  What happened?"  Or I'll be lesson planning or making a grocery list or whatever and before I know it my mind is somewhere else.  I'm thinking that it is time to let go of some if not ALL of these distractions.

I miss my conversations with God, I miss playing with my kids, I miss playing the piano, I miss reading for fun, I miss painting, I miss crafting, I miss going on walks (but not in this heat), I miss a lot of things.  I want to get my life back.  Obviously, I'm not going to give up the computer and internet completely but I can definitely cut my time WAY DOWN.  We have already cut back on TV but I bet we cut back a little bit more.  I can give my worries and all that other emotional stuff up to God.  I mean that's what He wants us to do anyway!  He wants to handle all that, so I think I'm going to try harder to just let Him take care of all that stuff.

So, if you don't see me on here for a few days just know that hopefully it means I'm out living my life!

Have fun living your life too!

No comments:

Post a Comment