Friday, January 30, 2009

What a week!

My DF had surgery Monday. It was supposed to be a Robotic Assisted Prostatectomy (for prostate cancer) that was only to be a 3 hour long surgery. Well, there were complications and they had to remove it the old fashioned way and fix some things inside while they were there (not quite but to make a long story a little shorter that’s what we’ll say). It took 6 hours! A lifetime when you are waiting in a waiting room and 2 lifetimes when you are waiting almost 1000 miles away! He made it through that though pretty well.

Oh Tuesday, he had an episode, as my DM calls it, where he just went to sleep and they could not wake him for a while. Very scary but when they did wake him everything was fine... or so we thought.

Wednesday morning, his blood count went way down and he had to have a blood transfusion. They called in an internist and we discovered that he had had a mild heart attack on Tuesday. They ordered tests.

That night, his heart got to racing as he was sleeping and the nurses and doctors came rushing in the room to check on him. They spent the rest of the night trying to get that back under control with medication. More tests ordered.

Thursday he got one test done after waiting around all day and then he had a good night.

They were hoping to go home on Friday but again they had some of the other tests to do and they waited a lot but they did get them done but not early enough to get released so... He will go home tomorrow.

It’s been rough week for him and my DM not mention all of us kids but we made it through and hopefully DF will be just fine. His pathology report was really good, thank goodness! And he will go see his regular doctor to make sure his heart is okay and do whatever might need to be done there.

Monday, I was a nervous wreck and had a very hard time holding back the tears most of the day (I was not successful at all really but I tried very hard!) but you know I was amazed at how calm I was the rest of the week. It like a peace had settled over me (frightening in itself really) and I just felt calm and certain that everything would be okay. I did get a little teary some on Thursday but it had as much to do with DH being deployed through all this as the actual situation. But I am back to being calm again.

It was a rough week but we made it, more importantly DF made it and will be back home in his own bed tomorrow (Saturday). DM made it too. I know this had to be really stressful on her and she handled it like a... hmmm... well, she handled really well and I’m really proud of her. I just wish I could have been there to help her through it, to help them both. I love my parents more than words can say. They are the best, really the absolute very best ever. I love you Mom and Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment