Friday, July 08, 2011

Friends, oh how I love them!

Friends... I've always had a hard time making friends.  I know for some of you out there it's hard to believe, but I am very, very shy.  Really I am!  Being a military spouse has forced me to come out of that shyness some but I am still very shy.  I have a hard talking with people I don't know.  Now, yes, I know, once I get to know you, you can't shut me up but I have to get past the first  meeting and it's terribly hard. 

Before we left our last home, I had some wonderful friends.  Some of whom I felt like were more family than friends and I still feel this way about them!  I miss them all terribly.   They kind of got me ready for my friends here.  They were the ones who got me to go out from time to time without the kids!  A REALLY BIG DEAL!  They were preparing me and I am so very grateful them, for you and you know who you are!

Since we've moved here (almost 2 years ago) I've met some new wonderful friends too!  It took a while... more like FOREVER!  But I now have friends!  Friends that I do stuff with!  Yes, we aren't just friends that I see at church on Sundays or just friends from the FRG that I see at those events.  We actually go out to breakfast, or lunch  or shopping or even on dates with our DHs!  I'm having a blast!  I've never gone out to lunch so much in my life and I'm loving it! 

I think it might even be a type of addiction now!  A good and wonderful addiction!  When we came home from our vacation, I couldn't wait to make a beeline to the church to see my wonderful friends there!!  I'm sure they have a love/hate relationship with my visits up there because I sometimes keep them from their work but I honestly missed my friends!

So much so that we are having that very last minute Family Wii/Game Night tomorrow!  So far we have a few coming and it will be fun. 

I went to lunch with a friend today and I was struck by something she said... it's taken me 19+ years to realize what this young woman (yes it took me longer than half her life to figure this out) already knew and recognized!  We need friends.  Even if we have family or husbands we still need friends.  We need girlfriends.  They are good for us!  They help us when we need it in a way not just anyone can.  Why, oh why, has it taken me so long to realize this?  I hope that NOW, I am in a place of not just teaching this to my daughter but also showing her.  Not just DD but her friends too. 

So my friends, thank you for your friendship!  You are the BEST!!

No comments:

Post a Comment