Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Conversation Continues...

Well, after my post yesterday, I had a really good day.  I was proud of myself.  I was in a few situations where things could have gone negative but it didn't.  I'm not saying that I never had a negative thought or word but I don't seem to have the grumps for now.

But.... I think God is continuing his conversation with me.  This morning I got up early and had some quiet time.  I've been slowly reading Lysa Terkeurst's "More Than a Good Bible Study Girl" and today I read about a time when Lysa was having a difficult time.  Her husband said she was premeopausal.  Lol I can laugh because DH often thinks this of me but he has learned NOT to voice this.  :o)  Anyway, and she was having a hard time not reacting badly to a particular situation.  She said,

"I asked the Lord to come to me quickly and interrupt my natural-flesh response before I blew some sort of gasket. I don’t even know what a gasket is, but I’m fairly certain it ain’t pretty when one blows. I choked out a very simple prayer, Encourage me, Lord, please."

TerKeurst, Lysa (2009-09-15). Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl (p. 67). Zondervan. Kindle Edition.

This struck me as this is how I have been feeling too often lately and I have been finding myself crying out, Dear God, help me!  Change me!

Anyway, in response to her pray she read Psalm 86:11  "Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; Give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name."

Hmmm.... an undivided heart.  That's how I've been feeling lately.  Divided.  Divided between the happy "Pollyanna" person I usually am this new negative Nellie I was becoming.

See, how He is just continuing on with his conversation?  Just to prove it was Him... Lysa Terkeurst posted this morning on Facebook for me to see....
The peace that flows despite circumstances can only be found through Jesus being with us. That's why Jesus phrased it the way he did, "Peace be with you!" In other words, you can walk through anything if you realize that He is peace and He is with you.
Well, I guess I should mention that this was part of the reading I did as well.  She talks about how when Jesus came to see the disciples he said, "Peace be with you!" not joy, or hope or love but PEACE!  How if we spend time with him each day and ask him to be with us and guide us we can have peace.  The kind of peace only he can give.

Lysa says, "Why is it so important to spend time with Jesus every day? Because He will give us the exact instruction and comfort we need to handle all He sees coming our way—how to act and, even more challenging, how to react in every situation.

TerKeurst, Lysa (2009-09-15). Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl (p. 63). Zondervan. Kindle Edition.

So reading that on Facebook right after I read it in the book just reemphasized that God is really speaking to me and answering my prayer that he change me, change my heart.  I definitely need help with the react part.  I've been struggling with that a lot of the past few months but it has steadily gotten worse over the last few weeks. 

I'm so glad that God started this conversation with me as I already feel better.  I feel lighter and more ready to face the difficulties that come my way.  Conversations with God.  I'm glad I'm finally seeing my billboards

2 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL post Sherri!!! Love your transparency, because that makes you relatable and since we all go through storms and struggles in life, it helps to know we are not alone. So thankful for the peace of God that passes understanding and that, like you said, Jesus is with us. Amazing love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeannie! I love it when He shows me the billboards I usually need.

    ReplyDelete