Friday, August 09, 2013

Morning Musings

Oh my.  Isn't this just a lovely place to sit and ... well, do just about anything?  It's beautiful.  It could definitely be a sacred space.

I was looking out the window this morning and thought how lovely it looked in the backyard with the freshly mown lawn. I thought I might go out and sit on our little patio for my morning musings but when I opened the door and felt the humidity I decided to just sit at the dining room table and look out the window.  :)  Yep, if it's not cool or if there's not at least a breeze, I'm not going out there!

School is starting all around us here.  I'm seeing first day of school photos everywhere.  I'm hearing last day of 'summer' laments.  I'm watching young people pack up and leave for college.  It's kind of a bittersweet sight.  Yesterday, we went and bought DS some school supplies and a few things for his dorm.  It's hard to believe that he is getting ready to start his second year of college!  Where has the time gone?

I love seeing the man he is becoming.  He's planning for his future and even though it's not what I want for him, to see him so excited and working so hard towards it I can't help but feel proud of him.  He is going to succeed whatever he does.  I just know it.  His plans are not the easy the way.  In fact they are the hard way, which is why I don't know want him to go that way but watching him prepare and make plans helps me.  Of course these plans aren't set in concrete yet (YAY!!) or so he tells me to help make things a little easier on me for now but I am preparing myself as if they are.  I know that DS is finding his own way to being his own man and a good man at that.

I was reading in a book this morning about being your authentic self and that that is what God calls us to be. She quoted a Jewish philosopher, Rabbi Zusya, "If they ask me in the next world, 'Why were you not Moses?' I will know the answer.  But if the ask me, 'Why were you not Zusya?' I will have nothing to say." Interesting.  That is actually something I often say around here, this is who I am, or that's not who I am.  It may set me up for lots of heartache but I have to be who I am.

I love what the book said next.

   "As Obi Wan Kenobi tells Luke Skywalker in 'Stars Wars', "The Force is an energy field created by all living things.  It surrounds us, it penetrates us, it binds galaxies together."  The Force binds your dreams and desires with your personal gifts so they can find outward expressions.  "Follow your feelings, trust your feelings," the Jedi knight urges us all, because it is within the Force that we live and move and have our being.
   The force is Love.
   Love wants, wishes, and wills nothing less than your unconditional happiness, harmony, Wholeness."

We should all strive to be our authentic self and also realize that our authentic self is not anyone else's.  It's ours.  I think this is what DS is doing. He's finding his authentic self and I'm pleased that he is.  He's a pretty special guy.  He still has lots to learn but don't we all?

I'm pleased with both of my kids.  As I watch them with their friends or listen to them talk and tell me stories of the comings and goings on of their lives I can hear them both striving to find and be their authentic self.  

No comments:

Post a Comment