Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Another First

I was called last week to preach in a small rural church in the area for 3 or 4 weeks. My first time preaching not in my home church! (Remember I've only preached once in my home church.)  It's exciting and scary all at once.

The first week, this past Sunday, went well I think.  It will be interesting to see if I can keep up the pace of a new sermon each week.  So far so good. Well, I really think it will be fine because I said yes to this so now I'm committed.  :)  I just finished the once for this next Sunday.  I still have some tweaking to do but the main message is done and my bulletin items have been sent off to them.

I'm going with the Lectionary for now since I'm new to this and well, I don't really know this church and what is going on in their life.  I figure with the Lectionary, the message is there and I just fill it in.  lol

Last Sunday was on love your neighbor as yourself and love your enemies and pray for them.  The scriptures were from Leviticus 19:1-2, 9-18 and Matthew 5:38-48.  We talked (well there wasn't really discussion but it feels better to say we) about how God called us Holy in Leviticus and then in Matthew Jesus tells us to be perfect.  That's an awful lot to live up to!

This week is on the transfiguration of Jesus.  I'm excited about it.  It's a challenging sermon as we are heading into Lent.

How do you observe Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment